Life can be twice as exciting with twice the resources — and twice the risks to manage.
Living life as a couple, you’d probably be wondering how to best protect each other now and for the future.
- Being LGBTI and partnered doesn’t protect you from the normal stresses of partnered life. The #1 reason for all relationship stress is uncertainty around money matters; and for those who are more 'spenders' than 'savers', this can be really challenging.
- Financial differences can be challenging for all couples, but especially LGBTI ones. Do you combine income and debts, or keep them separate? How do you best manage your personal and shared financial risks? How would long term disability affect your relationship? What happens if you need two incomes to live your lifestyle but you suddenly find yourself with only one (or none) due to sickness or injury?
- Longer-term financial security (even retirement) when you don't have children of your own to rely on, means you’re more reliant on your partner and your families of choice. If you or your loved ones depend on your income, you’ll need to protect it.
A top priority for a couple is protecting your income and your debts, to reduce the financial impact upon you and your partner if something unexpected happens to you
Why couples need specialist financial advice
- Not everyone and everyone's partner is Out (or Out equally). Many LGBT people make subtle yet profound changes to their everyday lives to minimize the risk of experiencing discrimination to them or their partner, often hiding their authentic selves.
- A specialist financial adviser who you can trust and feel comfortable with, who instinctively understands you, can be a stable foundation in your shared financial lives.
- Today, many LGBTI couples are facing complex decisions about caring for their aging parents who may have limited support, meaner retirement savings and who have been less than supportive of their now adult LGBTI children.
Learn what's right for you
If you’re partnered, it's time to learn more about your options, your partners' options and then take action to protect a fabulous future together (and your ability to continue to afford living it).
- And while you're getting organised, why not check your 'beneficiary nominations' in your super funds, life insurance policies and check your 'Power of Attorney' is up to date.
We’d love to help you with all of that.
- Are you a Couple in Business? You probably have additional business risks to manage. Let us help you with that.
- Are you considering IVF or surrogacy? You probably have some longer-term planning ahead. Let us help you with that too.